Computers are very portable these days. Millions of computers are used every single day for work. Processing power and storing the power of computers are increased and now computers can perform heavy calculations in seconds. The storage capacity of computers is nowadays very high. A small notebook can store data up to 500GB and that’s very high. In Computers, a hard disk or an external drive is given the unique drive letter which is basically the identity of the drive. To perform any operation on data/drive users need to specify the drive letter. In Windows OS, Windows files are stored in C drive (mainly) and it depends on the user in which drive he wants to install the Windows OS. If your HDD/SSD has 500GB storage, you can divide it into partitions. Each partition has specific drive letter like C:, D:, F: etc. When you connect your external storage device, it is also given a unique external device letter like: “Removable Device H:”. In this article, we’ll be showing you the process to change drive letter in Windows 10, 8, 7 or below.
Sometimes your partitions aren’t given the drive letters in sequence. The are un-arranged like C:, F:, I:. If you’re trying to execute any command in CMD or selecting any partition in the third-party application for any purpose, you need to remember the drive letter for every partition. If you select/enter the wrong drive letter, you may get in trouble.
Users in Windows OS can even change the drive letter or external devices connected to your computer. Below are the easy steps are given to Change Drive Letter in WIndows 10, Windows 8 or any other version of Windows OS. There’s no need to backup your data on the drive. Drive letters can be changed without losing the data on the partition.
Steps To Change Drive Letter In Windows 10, 8, 7 or Below
We’ll be using disk management Administrative too in this method. There’s no need to download any software/tool. Windows has its own tool which can be used to create partitions, change the drive letters and all disk management related things. Follow the steps given below:
- Open Control Panel and click on Administrative tools.
- Then select Computer Management from the list. Double click to open it.
- Click on Disk Management option on the left side.
- Select the partition/external storage device whose drive letter you want to change.
- Right-Click-Change Drive Letters and paths.
- Now, click on Change, select Assign a New Letter and select the letter you want to assign to the drive. All the available letters will be displayed in this list.
- Press OK and you’ve successfully changed the drive letter.
This is the easiest way to change the drive letter in Windows 10 or below. The GU interface makes it very easy and anyone can follow these methods. If you want to change drive letter using CMD then we’ve steps given below.
How To Change Drive Letter using CMD
CMD (Command Prompt) can e used to do many things in Windows). Users can do many operations using commands in CMD. If you want to assign or change the drive letter using CMD, then you’ll have to use diskpart in CMD. There are no critical commands to do this. YOu can do almost everything with diskpart in CMD as you can do with Disk Management tool in Windows OS. Follow the steps given below:
- Press Win+R and type diskpart, hit enter.
- Now, provide the administrator privileges.
- Type list disk, this will list all the disks, like internal HDD/SDD and external storage devices connected to your computer.
- Then type select disk (disk number) e.g select disk 0. Here we’re selecting our internal HDD. You can type your disk number in the place of (0).
- Then list all the partitions by typing list volume and hit enter.
- To assign a new letter to this volume, type assign letter (alphabetic letter) e.g assign letter E and hit enter.
- Now, your drive letter should be changed. If you didn’t get the drive listed, type assign.
We hope you’ve changed the letter of your drive./ If you’re still having the problem in assigning the letter you should comment down below. In fact, the steps and method we’ve shown above should work in your course. But by chance, you’re still not able to change drive letter in Windows 10 or below, contact us by commenting on this article below. We’ll reply you soon with the solution.