In Chrome if you’re getting ERR_CONNECTION_RESET then this means that there’s something wrong with your internet settings configuration. This happens when your system is attacked by any virus of settings are changed due to 3rd party programs. There’s also a possibility that your antivirus is the reason behind this problem. Some websites will work and some will not work and will show the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET problem. If you too have this problem then there are many fixes to this problem. There’s a fix for every computer related problem. We’ve seen in many cases that error connection reset problem is mainly caused by the change in TCP/IP settings or resetting these to the defaults. Also, maybe the DNS servers you’re using isn’t valid. In this article, we’ll be showing you all the possible ways to fix this problem.
Sometimes, internet settings are changed without user’s knowledge. This mainly happens when the user is attacked by the virus or any 3rd party application changed the internet configuration. Also, if MTU setting (Maximum Transmission Unit) is changed you’ll definitely get an ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error in Chrome. MTU in Windows determines the maximum size packet or frame which can be sent in the frame-based network like the internet. Most of the users are unknown to this thins in Windows OS. Also, if your DNS server address is invalid you’ll get many errors related to the internet connectivity.
In this article, we’ll be showing you all the possible best fixes to this problem. Most of the times, users are using invalid DNS server address which results in the err connection reset problem. There are many fixes to this problem. Follow the methods given below in the way they are arranged to fix your problem.
Solve: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET Chrome
The first thing you need to check is that whether your DNS server settings are valid or not. Using invalid DNS will surely result in serious problems. Also, we’ve shown some DNS server address which will fix your problem too.
- Right Click on Network icon on the taskbar and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Now, choose the network to which you’re connected. It’ll be listed there.
- Then choose the Properties option.
- Scroll down and select IPv4, then check if you’re using DNS server address or not. If you’re using, click on Obtain Automatically option. Check your internet connectivity now.
- If you haven’t used any DNS address, you can use the following address and check if you’re able to connect to the internet or not.
Now, try visiting any website. We hope you’re able to access the internet now. If you’re still not able to connect to the internet, then you should follow our next method.
Disable Antivirus and Turn Off VPN
We recommend you to disable antivirus program and firewall if activated. maybe these 3rd party programs are the reason behind your problem.
Also, you should switch off your VPN connection if using. Or switch to another server location and see if you’re now able to connect to the internet. Sometimes, VPN server is down and won’t respond and there’s also the possibility that your VPN is trying to connect to the server again and again. So, better switching the VPN servers or exit your VPN.
Set The MTU Using CMD
Now in this method, we’ll be setting the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) using CMD. Sometimes, without user’s knowledge, MTU settings are changed and the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET problem is shown in Google Chrome because Windows isn’t able to connect to the internet. Before proceeding, make sure you’ve administrator account access. We need to launch CMD as administrator in order to change MTU.
- Open CMD as administrator and type the command given below according to the conditions:
- If Using LAN Connection: netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Local Area Connection” mtu=1472 store=persistent
- If Using Wireless (WiFi Connection): netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Wireless Network Connection” mtu=1472 store=persistent
- Now, hit enter and restart your device. Your problem should be fixed now and ERR_CONNECTION_RESET problem should no longer exist.
Use NETSH Reset Command and Make Sure You’re Not Using Proxy Server Address
- Open CMD as administrator and type following command one by one:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
- Now, check if you’re using a proxy or not:
- Press Win+R and type inetcpl.cpl, hit enter.
- Click on connections tab and choose LAN Settings.
- Make sure you’ve set the option to Automatically.
- Restart your PC and check if you’re able to access the internet or not.
Clear Chrome’s Cached Data
You should clear Chrome’s cached data. This might solve your problem if the problem is related to the Chrome browser.
- Press Ctrl+H and all the browsing history will appear.
- Then click on CLear Browsing Data option on the left side of the screen.
- Select Cookies and all data that you no longer need and click on Clear.
- Wait till the data is cleared.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click on Chrome Menu and select Settings.
- Now, toggle the settings menu and choose Advanced>Reset.
- Click on the Reset button and wait till the reset is complete.
We now hope that ERR_CONNECTION_RESET problem is solved. But, if you’re still having the problem then comment down below and we’ll try to help you. Alternatively, you can reset your router to fix the problem if the problem is related to your router. Better trying your luck.