Chrome browser is one of the best browsers in the market which offers a lot of major features which are useful in our daily life. The user interface of Chrome browser is really very simple and extensions from Chrome store makes our work much easier. We can search and replace in Chrome, can use VPN extensions and much more. But, as the increase in the number of users, there are a lot of malware which harms the user and the main motto behind this malware are to display irrelevant ads to the user. Most users have complained that their Chrome opens up when they turn on the PC in Windows 10. Windows 8, Windows 7 users are also facing this problem. Though if you’re facing this problem then this doesn’t totally means that your system is affected by some type of malware or virus. Maybe you’ve enabled startup apps and this cause automatic startup of Chrome browser. We’ve shown the complete guide on how to stop Chrome from opening on startup.
There are three possible reasons behind this problem. One is whether your PC is affected by the virus and another is you’ve enabled Chrome on startup. Startup apps can make your PC really very slow and this will decrease the user experience as well. Maybe your Chrome is added to the list of startup apps and this cause opening of Chrome automatically when you turn on Windows 10. If you’re unknown to startup apps and the process to malware, then don’t worry, we’ve shown the complete step by step procedure down below in this article. These steps will surely help you in disabling the automatic starting of Chrome and you can easily stop Chrome from opening on Startup in Windows 10 or lower versions.
Methods To Stop Chrome From Opening On Startup Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7
As we’ve discussed above that there are possibly three reasons behind this problem. So we need to explain three steps in this article to fix your problem. First, we’ll check if Chrome is added to startup program or not. If it’s added as startup then your problem will be fixed in few steps. Otherwise, there must be any Chrome extension which might be responsible for the automatic startup of Chrome. But, when it comes to virus or malware, you might need to use some malware removers. Trotux malware is one of the most popular malware for Chrome browser and in your case, this malware might be the reason. Read down both the methods and try to fix your problem.
Check Startup Programs List
When we start our computer, a lot of programs runs to succeed the booting process. But, when we enable some 3rd party apps in the startup, performance gets lowered and if you’ve enabled chrome in startup programs, this might be the reason behind automatic startup of Chrome browser when you turn on your PC. If it’s added as a startup program, you can easily control it and can stop Chrome from opening on startup. Follow the steps given below and check if Chrome is one of the startup programs or not.
- Right-Click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- A new window will appear, select More Details option to see the detailed reports of the programs running in the background.
- Then choose the Startup option on the Window.
- You’ll find all the Programs which will run when you turn on your PC.
- Scroll down and find if Chrome is listed there or not.
- If Chrome is listed, then Right-Click>Disable.
- This will disable it from automatically starting when you tun on Windows 10 or the Windows OS you’re using.
After following these steps, restart your computer and check if browse opens up automatically again or not. If it doesn’t then you’ve solved your problem then this problem related to some kind of virus attack or extension which you’ve installed in Chrome.
Disable Chrome Extensions
There are thousands of Chrome extensions in the Chrome store and maybe one of them causes this problem. The only way to figure out if the problem is caused by the extension or not is by disabling all the extensions and restarting your computer. This is helpful to stop Chrome from opening on startup for some users if they’ve installed extensions from non-trusted sources.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Click on the options and select Tools>Extensions.
- You’ll find all the extensions installed in your browser. You can either uncheck the enable option to disable them or if those extensions aren’t important to you then consider deleting them.
- Restart your computer and check if Chrome starts automatically or not. If it doesn’t start automatically, try to figure out which extension causes this problem.
Most of the times, extensions installed from 3rd party sources are infected with malware and broken codes which causes this type of problem in Chrome. If your problem isn’t solved yet, then it’s possible that your Chrome or the entire system is infected with the virus. Below is one more method in which we’ve shown the way you can clean the infected programs from your computer if exists.
Scan Your Windows For Infected Malware, Adware
THere are many antiviruses on the market which can solve the malware-related problems in one go. But, if you act little bit smart, you can remove the malware on your own from the PC. Below are the detailed steps you can follow and we’re sure that these steps will help you in removing the harmful programs from your PC and this will also stop Chrome from opening on Startup in Windows 10.
Remove Unknown Programs From Your OS
Consider removing all the programs with unknown publishers. In most of the cases, any infected program is installed by the user which simultaneously creates the problem in OS. hence, check all the programs installed in your OS and remove unwanted ones.
- Press Win+R and type “control panel“, hit enter.
- Choose Programs and Features option and look for the programs you no longer want to use.
- If Chrome started opening automatically after you install a program, the remove that program from your computer.
- To remove the program, click on it and choose Uninstall option, follow the on-screen guide and remove it.
- Once you’ve removed all the unwanted programs, restart your PC, check if the problem still exists or not.
If the problem still exists then you need to use a Malware scanner tool which will detect all the possible infected programs.
Use Malware Scanner Tool
Malwarebytes is one of the simple and recommended tools by us to detect all the infected codes running in your system. We’ve used this tool to fix many adware related problem in Windows OS and you should give it a try.
- Download the tool from here: “https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
- Then install it on your OS and run the scan.
- Wait for few moments till it scans for all the malicious programs in your OS.
- Once the scan is complete, follow the on-screen guide to remove them all.
- Restart your PC and now Chrome won’t startup automatically.
We’ve tried to explain all the possible steps to stop chrome from opening on Startup in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. If the problem still exists then leave a comment down below and we’ll reach you soon. Also, share your valuable feedback and experience in the comment section.