Microsoft Excel is really very useful to display and arrange the data in a well-mannered way. We can use MS Excel for thousands of works and it’s used by millions of people worldwide. We can make a graph in excel to display the data in a graphical way. There are many other features of Microsoft Excel and one of the great features is merging. We can merge multiple cells in Excel. The basic idea behind the merging is that let’s say that you want a heading n between the data. In Excel, you can’t add heading in between the cells containing data. So, basically, we can only use the merging feature in Excel. When we merge two or more cells, the data written in the first column will be shown as heading in the spreadsheet. You can use that to show your heading or whatever according to your needs. In this article, we’ve shown how to merge cells in Excel.
Merging in Excels solves the problem like we can now put the heading after a certain amount of cells or on the top of the spreadsheet. The limitation is that you can’t merge a single cell because there will be no sense of merging a single cell. Merging is all about turning two or more cells into one and displaying the data contained in the first cell. But it doesn’t mean that you’ll have to fill all the cells you want to merge. Just put whatever you want to show as the headline and select the cell’s columns up top which you want to show the headline. MErging and unmerging in Excel can be done with one click. There are no multiple steps you need to follow.
Down below in this article we’ve shown how to merge cells in Excel with screenshots so that you can follow the steps without any problem.
How To Merge Cells In Excel
- First, you need to select the cells you want to merge. Cells should be more than one. Like two or more.
- Considering that in a spreadsheet you’ve data in three columns and you want the first columns as the heading. So, we’ll be typing our heading in the first cell and then we’ll select the three columns using the cursor.
- Now, make sure that you’re on the Home tab. Now click on Merge option and select Merge and Center to merge the cells and align the data of the first cell to the center.
- Your cells will be merged and only data inside the first cell will be shown as the heading.
This is the quick and easy process to merge cells in Excel. Not only for heading but you can do this for many other purposes like you want to show the sum of the rows in the big column and this can be only done if you’ve merged the cells. The process is very simple and quick.
Now, after merging the cells you probably want to know the process to unmerge them. Below are the steps to do that.
- Select the cells which you’ve merged using the cursor.
- Make sure you’re on the Home tab and then click on the Unmerge option.
This is the quick way to unmerge the cells in Excel. But, if you’re working with a very long spreadsheet in Excel, there might be hundreds of merged cells which you want to unmerge. n Word, we can find all the merged cells easily.
Find Merged Cells Using Excel
- Open the spreadsheet in Excel.
- In the Home tab, click on Find & Select option and then choose Find option from the dialogue box appeared.
- A new dialogue box will appear, click on Format option.
- Now, click on Alignment tab and check the Merge Cells option.
- Click OK and close the dialog boxes expect to Find and Replace.
- Now, click on Find Next or Find All and you’ll get a list of merged cells in Excel.
Using this way you can find all the merged cells in Excel very easily.
We hope that you’re now able to merge cells in Excel. The process is very simple and quick. But, if you’re having some problems during the process then comment down below and we’ll reply you soon with an answer to your problem.