Skype is one of the great application which is available on all the platforms. Microsoft owns Skype and kept introducing many features like bot chats, new smilies and so on. Video calls are the best thing Skype provides to the users. Quality of video calls is very good and even users can do voice calls, even text messages. So, Skype is a complete solution to Video calls, video meetings, internet calls and chat. Sometimes, Skype application in Windows OS gets in trouble with audio input/output devices. This happens because settings are changed or the updated version of Skype/OS doesn’t compatible with the driver’s users are using. Due to the fact that users are using outdated drivers, many problems are generated with the Windows OS. So it’s always recommended to use the updated version of drivers. But, Skype problem with playback device isn’t generated only due to the outdated drivers. There are many other facts which are responsible for this problem.
In this article, we’ll be listing all the possible reasons behind this problem and their solutions. You can then solve Skype problem with playback devices easily. Sometimes, the playback device which is plugged isn’t configured or the device isn’t working. Due to misconfiguration, even Skype recording device problem is encountered. There’s huge possibility that Skype settings need to be changed so that playback device starts work again. Below is the detailed guide to fix your problem.
Fix: Skype Problem With Playback Device
If your Skype can’t access sound card then you need to follow the guide given below.
Check If Playback Devices Are Enabled and Plugged In
The first thing you need to check is whether playback devices are plugged into the computer or not. Sometimes, the plug port is damaged or computer can’t detect the playback device which is plugged in. Even if you’re using an external display, then sometimes the audio output device isn’t set to the TV’s speakers or due to any error, no audio output device is turned on so that Skype can use any Playback device. To check whether your device is connected and working, follow the steps given below:
- Right-Click on the Sound icon in the taskbar, then choose Playback Devices.
- Now, you’ll get all the audio output supported devices.
- If your playback device is not enabled, then Right-Click>Enable.
- Once you enable the device, you’ll hear little sound in the speakers. Alternatively, you should play a song to check whether your speakers are working properly or not.
- Increase the sound levels to make sure that everything is fine with the audio output device.
Once you’re sure that playback devices are properly and if still, Skype can’t access sound card then you need to check the Skype audio output settings. Maybe the working output device isn’t set up in the settings and Skype still using the device which isn’t working.
Check Skype Playback Device Settings
- Open Skype and then open Settings.
- Click on Audio Settings and make sure you’ve set the right device which is in working condition.
- Save the changes.
The steps given above should really solve your problem if it’s encountered due to the disabling of playback device or due to the wrong device selected in Skype Audio settings.
But, users whose problem is still not solved should follow some other methods given below. These methods are also easy to follow. We’ll be uninstalling the Audio drivers and then updating the audio drivers. Outdated drivers will surely create many problems with the system.
Uninstall Te Audio Output Driver
- Press Win+R and type devmgmt.msc, hit enter.
- Expand Audio Inputs and Outputs, then Right-Click on Speakers>Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen guide to uninstall the driver.
- Restart your computer and the open Skype, check if your Skype problem with playback device is solved or not.
You should also update your audio driver to the latest version. This will ensure that there’s no problem with the drivers and also your problem might be solved.
Update Audio Output Driver
- Open Device Manager.
- Navigate to Audio Inputs and Outputs>Speakers>Right-Click>Update Driver Software.
- If you have the driver update files, click on Custom and browse the update file.
- Or choose the Automatically option to update the drivers online.
- Restart your computer and check if Skype is able to play the sound through the speakers or not.
Users who still have the problem should now try Re-Installing the Skype.
- Open Control Panel, click on Programs option.
- Now, select the Skype>Right-Click>Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen guide to Uninstall the program.
- Then run the Skype setup to install it back again.
We now hope that your problem is solved. If you’re still having Skype problem with playback device then comment down below. Explain your problem and we’ll reply you as soon as possible with a working fix according to your explanation.